Motivation, discipline and inspiration….For some reason we believe that these are the ingredients that are essential to weight loss. Frequently clients tell me that they are struggling with being motivated. Consequently, when its lacking progress is halted. Motivation is just a feeling, don’t get me wrong, it’s helpful – but not essential. What is essential are good, solid habits. We need a daily ritual that supports our goal so that we don’t rely on these feelings that may or may not arrive to help us get it in gear.
Maybe we aren’t motivated or inspired at all. Or, if we are motivated it may only be temporary. Nobody is always motivated no matter what they say on Instagram. If we aren’t motivated it doesn’t mean something is wrong, its normal.
Building a foundation of simple daily habits is what we keep us going when motivation is in short supply. Think of your habits as a safety net they are what will catch you when motivation and discipline are waning.
- Set a weekly smart goal- When establishing a goal we need to ensure that it is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time bound. Each week our smart goal should move us one step closer to our long term goal. For example, if our goal is to eat healthy a SMART goal would be “I will eat 3 servings of vegetables each day, all week”.
- Break it down. Turn the weekly goal into daily smart goals. If we are using the above SMART goal of “ I will eat 3 servings of vegetables each day, all week” We will use that goal to help us establish our meals for the day when meal planning.
- Do a nightly assessment (What went right? What went wrong? What can I do differently tomorrow?) and “things to do list” for the next day with 3 things (too many can be overwhelming and unattainable).
- Lay out clothes, set up coffee/tea/ food for the next day. Assign time for our daily workout. Make it easy to succeed.
- Review to do list, have coffee, get dressed and start crossing things off that list.
Keeping habits simple and sustainable is always the best practice to ensure success.